Advertisement

UK Government loses data because of Excel mistake.

UK Government loses data because of Excel mistake. My previous video: When Spreadsheets Attack!


Check out Gemma Arrowsmith (voice and star of Spreadsheets ad) on YouTube:
Details about her courses and everything else she does here:

Seth's shout-out is at 14:15 here:


This is the BBC report:

You can read the official government statement on the data loss here:

This tweet has not aged well:
"sometimes instead of finding and learning how to use a chisel, you turn to the hammer you’re already holding"


The tweets were in relation to: Complex Fibonacci Numbers?


=IF(use = critical, "Formal Software Engineering Process", IF(use = important, "Use a database", "have fun with spreadsheets!"))
- Dr Simon Thorne, programme chair of the European Spreadsheet Risks Interest Group


My video offering YouTube filming advice: Why are Talk-Show Hosts so Bad at YouTube? A Closer Look


CORRECTIONS
- At 03:23 I say "36,536" when the correct number of rows in an .xls file is "65,536". The on-screen number is correct!
- at 06:13 and again at 10:04 I say "National Health England" instead of the correct "Public Health England". I have no idea why my brain did that. I think it merged NHS with PHE.

Thanks to my Patreons who mean I can make a whole fake news network at short notice (that's a fake news-network, not a fake-news network). If you join their ranks I can make even more videos!

As always: thanks to Jane Street who support my channel. They're amazing.


Filming, editing and graphics by Alex Genn-Bash
Spreadsheet ad performed by Gemma Arrowsmith
Music by Howard Carter
Design by Simon Wright and Adam Robinson
"Spreadsheets" packaging by Matt Parker

MATT PARKER: Stand-up Mathematician
Website:
US book:
UK book:

maths,math,mathematics,comedy,stand-up,UK,government,data,Excel,spreadsheet,spreadsheets,spreadsheet news network,news,matt parker,mistake,misuse,public health england,nhs,eusprig,european spreadsheet risks interest group,database,bungled,breaking news,network,

Post a Comment

0 Comments